Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday

2013 Columbia 150 - Friday

Quick down river run on the final day: Floating dock back to the cars at Cathlamet.

Last night was kid of rough - lots of wind and waves, and at least one speedster roaring down the backwater. Such is life on the river.

We got an early start - the first day of a trip like this needs to be a long day. The last day needs to be a short day. I had planned this very well.

There was a tiny bit of wind in the early morning - not really enough to up sail for.

We met Midnight Mike at Westport. He is in his Newport 16 but doesn't have his rigging set up yet. He is VERY proud of his British Seagull outboard (though he does back it up with a Johnson)

Mike had been planning this trip for a while,and at the last minute had to drop out. I was glad he was able to come down and join us for our final run.

It was a very calm day - even down by Jones Beach. Tom came over and handed us hot coffee and cocoa.

As we approached Cape Horn, it was dead calm. I said "Mike, swing over by the rocks, I want to take a picture that looks like I'm touching Cape Horn." He did, we got a few feet away, and I took this shot. Then the current grabbed us and tried to slam us into the rocks - I had to fend off or we would have been busted all to flinders.

That's right, people: I TOUCHED Cape Horn.

Jo-joma passed the cape without incident.

Mike spent an inordinate amount of time back by his British Seagull motor - and eventually swapped it out for the spare. Ever wonder why the Brits are such good sailors? British Seagull outboards.

I climbed into rigging to get a shot of Mike at the tiller.

As we neared Cathlamet, we spied the Katie, a pretty little tug that looked built for working.

She was parked up river from this Chinese junk (get it? a junk junk? I'm hilarious.) I have to say: I really like the lines on this boat. If I were to decide to throw everything away and waste the rest of my life restoring a hulk, it'd be one like this. She must have been a beauty in her day.

We rounded the corner of the harbor at Cathlamet to be greeted by Ann - she and Phil hadn't noticed we spent a couple hours at Rainier yesterday and when they got to the floating dock and didn't find us, they decided we'd go ahead to Cathlamet, so they forged ahead and ended up spending the night here. They were probably more comfortable than we had been.

Daily tally for the final day. Comes to 134 miles by my GPS, close enough to 150 to count.

Boats were loaded and good-byes were said. Tom introduced us to the traditional Potter Group Good-bye Salute where everyone circles up, puts their hand in the middle and shouts "We've Cheated Death Another Day!"

View Larger Map

Mike wanted to see the Columbia River Maritime Museum at Astoria, so we drove down the Washington side of the river to the bridge. On the way, we saw the half sunken wreck of US Navy's biggest hydrofoil: The Plainview, as she rots in the water off the 401, just east of Dismal Nitch Rest Area

At the museum, we met Julius (r) who has built a St Ayles Skiff, the boat that is used for the international Scottish Coastal Rowing competitions. It's a beautiful boat, one we considered building at the Toledo Community Boathouse, but we couldn't see how we were going to find enough people to be interested in competing.

Inside the museum's Barbey Maritime Center for Research and Industry, Mike and I had a great conversation with this man, who's name I cannot remember for love nor money. Still - that's one great picture.

And that's it - another Columbia 150 in the bag. No deaths, very little maiming, no breakage to speak of.



Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday